Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Meet Raymond


This is Raymond. He’s 4 days old and he lives at the Espoir de Vie Children Rescue Centre in Conakry. On Sunday night, Raymond was found under a bridge just on the outskirts of Conakry. Two men found him there, beside the river, tiny, naked, abandoned. They brought him to the gendarmerie. He ended up at the Rescue Centre.

This is all the history Raymond has. He didn’t even have a name until I showed up. The Centre usually names the abandoned children that come to them after whomever happens to be at the Centre when the child arrives. I visited the Centre this afternoon with a group of kids from our school. I am the first man to hold Raymond. I held him in my arms for over an hour, oblivious to everything that was happening around me. I just remember at one point one of the caregivers announcing to the others that the decision had been made to name the premature infant Raymond.

Can’t really describe how I felt…different emotions. I just know that there was a whole lot of sadness there. Although Raymond slept throughout our encounter, eyes tightly shut, an occasional whimper, we talked. I did most of the talking; he just listened. I told him I loved him and that from this second forward, things would get better for him. That’s all I could say. I'm sure he heard every word I said to him. 

Still can't quite describe how I feel tonight. Tired, and sad...

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment