May 16th 2012. Special day for Madeleine and I. I dressed ‘differently’ today. Like every May 16th for the past 31 years, Madeleine and I dress up in the outfits we wore when we got married.
First thing this morning, coming up to address the morning assembly, Assiatou, from her front row seat and looking up at me with those sparkly big brown eyes, with all the wisdom and innocence of a 4 year old child, tells me that I looked pretty.
Thank you Assiatou. Yes, today I feel very pretty. Today is May 16th, a very special day for me. 31 years ago, in a small church in a place called Winnipeg far away in Canada, I stood dressed as I am today and I watched my future wife come down the aisle of the church.... ah look, there’s my bride now.
I pointed towards the library and out walks Madeleine in her bridal dress. The kids and staff applauded as Madeleine came down and stood beside me. I explained to the kids that every year Mme Mulaire and I get dressed up in our wedding attire and have our picture taken with our kids...but that this year it was different because our children were in Canada, and we were wondering if today they could stand in for them....
No arm twisting there....they all enthusiastically yelled yeah! So we all assembled under the big tree at the centre of the campus and had our picture taken.
Great way to start off the day. A ‘glowing’ day...and the glow of the morning radiated all day. Even the incessant demands of the Grade 5 girls did not get to me. However, I kept reminding myself throughout the day that there remains very few days for me to be with these wonderful children. I plan on enjoying every minute of their company.
And that’s the kind of May 16th its been.

Sad I missed it :( We'll take a picture when you get back and cheat :).
ReplyDeleteI love this yearly celebration!! Congrats to you two!!
ReplyDelete