On my way to the back gate at dismissal, I am greeted by 5
year old Ryan who blurts out “you know what? You were right! You were right
this morning at assembly when you said that we just had to dream something and if
we dreamt it hard enough, it would happen. That morning, at assembly, I had
quoted Jules Verne's words “anything one man can imagine, other men can make real”.
A bit surprised at Ryan unabated enthusiasm…(let’s not forget here, it was the
end of a school day when the enthusiasm meter usually runs low, at least mine does),
and before I could say pray tell, Ryan, what on earth are you talking about?
Ryan proceeded to explain to me in minute detail the incident that happened
that day that proved this morning’s words of wisdom true. Without going into
the many colourful exclamations festooning young Ryan’s account, permit me
for the sake of brevity to summarize the event in this way: Ryan is playing soccer at recess; Ryan kicks
ball into net, net being guarded by Samsu, grade 9 students who, according to
Ryan and all of his fellow kindergarten buddies, is nothing less than the best soccer player in
the whole world, and, despite the fact that the net is tended by the best goal
keeper this side of the moon, the ball goes in; Ryan scores.
So, pray tell again Ryan, what does this have to do with
what I said this morning? And again, I did not have to ask that question, Ryan
proceeded to tell me all, in his 5 year old relentless enthusiasm, that, at the
very moment he kicked the ball, he had closed his eyes and imagined the ball
going through Samsu. Well, there you have it. Samsu, a mere grade 9 mortal, did
not have a chance against the law of attraction and the power of the mind, or
what I like to call the science of creative visualization (not really a science
but it does sound good and this is my blog and I can call it whatever I want). When I was a kid, the nuns at school used to
call these unexplainable events ‘miracles’; I call them creative visualization.
Well Ryan, first of all congrats are in order for scoring
against the all mighty Samsu today. However, little do you know that you did
much more today than score a goal against all odds. Your intervention that
afternoon was the starter fuel that I needed to get me out of the downs (see
previous posting) that I’ve been wobbling in lately. Needless to say, I was
touched by the fact that you came up to me and told me that my words of wisdom
rang true to you. Your enthusiastic interpolation was one of those not so rare moments
in teachers’ lives that make us realize that we do have an impact on the young
minds that are entrusted to us, and that on most days when we are at school,
kids do listen to us, and do think that what we say to them is true. Your
intervention at the end of the day brought a lot of things in perspective for
me. I needed that at this time of adjustment and re/dislocation when I look at
my immediate future and question what I am to do here, why I am here, and for
what purpose am I here.
In any case, it took a 5 year old to snap me out of it. I do
have a purpose here. And that purpose is you kid. Thanks little buddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment