And then there's water. It's not the water itself that fascinates me, its the power of water that turns me on. Again, as a child I lived on a farm situated on the banks of the Red River. While the river remained a slow-moving current of brown muddy water throughout most of the year, this snake like frozen watercourse woke up at every spring freshet and mesmerized me by its sheer force, its movement, and its sounds. I'd just sit there on the river bank, gawking at the immensity of the moving ice, the rumblings and reverberations indicating that something was about to happen. I felt the slight tremblings of the earth and the sounds begin to grow in volume as if some giant trumpeter was blowing a fanfare for the first act curtain. I'd be entertained by the sight and sound of scraping ice against ice as the mass was breaking up and slowly dislodging, resembling the cries of a live creature in great pain. Sounds such as these could terrify me elsewhere, but here I knew it was only the river going into hard labor to bring about the birth of Spring. I liked the river. It was forceful in the Spring, but peaceful and scenic the rest of the year. It offered us a vast and unlimited skating rink in the winter, and a refreshing and muddy swimming hole in the hot summer months. Mud is good to a 10 year old kid.
My mother on the other hand did not like the river. To her, this watery serpent had two purposes - to overflow its banks in the Spring and cause flooding havoc to all those living on the riverside, - and to drown her babies. Yup, that was my mother, the eternal worrywart, who saw the current of this muddy-watered river as something that would one day claim her children. She forbade us to go swimming in this treacherous flow of water. We disobeyed her of course, swam to our heart's content, which in turn outfitted us all with a good sin for our monthly 1st Friday of the month confessional ritual (Bless me father for I have sinned, I disobeyed my Mother...). I guess she was right in a way, I did almost drown one day. Anyways, back to the subject at hand, fire and water.
My fascination with fire and water was gratified this week as we celebrated Loy Krathong, one of Thailand's most popular festivals. Although toned down from last year’s overt celebration as a mark of respect after the passing of the Thai’s beloved King, we were able to partake in this year’s ‘festival of lights’ where people gather at night by rivers, ponds, canals, and even fountains, basically where ever there is a body of water, to float a candle-lit flower basket or buoyant. Lights from hundreds of candles twinkle on the water. Each one carries prayers and wishes sent off to float down rivers and streams. It’s celebrated annually on a full moon of the 12th month according to a traditional Thai lunar calendar.
The reason we celebrate the festival is to pay respects to the Goddess of Water and to float away (as to let go) of our hatred, agony, grudge and sorrow. Most of us on this planet have been blessed with abundant water to produce many essential things for ourselves; harvesting, consuming, etc, yet, we pollute them. This festival is a sign of appreciation and apology we have toward the Goddess. When we launch our krathong, we wish to have peaceful and enlightened lives and to forget bad feelings and grudges from the past. If your candle stay lit until your krathong is out of sight, you have been blessed with luck. Floating fire on water is what Loy Krathong is all about. There is something about floating fire that I find mesmerizing and is conducive to contemplation and self-reflection.
No comments:
Post a Comment