Anyways, where does Kanchanaburi fit in with Mitch Miller and my mother? First of
| Posing in front of the Bridge on the River Kwai |
So again, what is the connection between my mother and Mitch Miller and the Thai province that is the nexus of the Thailand-Burma Railway during World War II?
Back to the early 60’s, on one particular Thursday night when Sing Along with Mitch was on, and therefore the world (at least my mother’s world) stopped rotating on its axis, my brothers and I just happened to be in the same living room where my mother was going all bat shit crazy singing along to Mitch’s bouncing balls. Now, my brother Jack, who has always had this knack of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, a knack, I must add, that he eventually developed and perfected to a quasi art form, muttered something to the effect of ‘how much more of this whistling dipstick do we have to listen to?’ Egads! My mother’s reaction to my brother Jack’s typical 14-year-old philosophical and rather unflattering remark in regards to Saint Mitch and his whistling talents, well, let’s just say that I had never ever experienced my mother ‘losing it’ like she lost it then. The proverbial caca hit the proverbial fan; a total emotional meltdown occurred. My other brother, the older and wiser one, attributed this meltdown to a symptom of the onset of pre-menopause, which my brother Jack and I had no idea what he was talking about but believed him because he was our older brother, hence wiser and infallible. Anyways, I remember the episode well, as if it had just happened yesterday…
And the connection being…
Before our trip to Kanchanaburi, we decided to Netflix the movie Bridge on the River Kwai. Although this is a fictional movie based on a fictional novel, we believed that it would give us an historical perspective and get us excited about what we were about to see the following day. In the first scene of the movie, the POWs enter the camp whistling the first strain of the march “Colonel Bogey” … this is when every fibre of my body became consumed with the dark reminder of that time when my brothers and I had unintentionally pained our mother and caused her to cry. Colonel Bogey was the tune that Mitch Miller and his chorus of whistling men were whistling on that fateful Thursday night in the early 60's. So there you have it, that is why when crossing the bridge over the river Kwai, I could not help but be haunted by that tune and think of my poor insulted mother. Sorry Mother.
| |
| Sorry Mom |
Super!
ReplyDelete