Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Flashbacks of Riyadh


Our afternoon ends with a walk in the neighborhood to buy fruit and vegetables. We walk up to the same fruit stand as two days ago...nice lady recognizes us and assures us she is not ripping us off. Even if she was, I like her face.


While Madeleine is buying fruit, I get called to a neighbouring stall where a guy calls me his friend and wants me to look at his stuff (touristy, wooden statues, cheap djambes). I go to him and politely tell him I’m not in the mood to buy anything at the moment except for fruit and vegetables. He says, ok, maybe next time, and asks me where I’m from. I tell him I’m Canadian. Wants to know why I’m here and I tell him. He appears genuinely interested. We start talking, I ask him how’s business and he admits...not so good. We get into a more serious conversation about...politics. Ends up he tells me that he is not very confident that things are going to go well once this second round of elections happen. According to him, there is no way the army will let go of power so easily, and if this is the case, things are going to get much worse before they get any better. Hmm...not too reassuring.


Madeleine and I return to the apartment, two bags full of fruit and vegetables, a bit disconcerted about what we had just heard. Evacuation has all of a sudden become a possibility. We plan on keeping a small suitcase with essentials close by the doorway of our apartment....flashbacks of Riyadh.


2 comments:

  1. j'adore cette photo - j'ai tellement rit comme une folle!! new desktop photo! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. A agree with Nadine :) A good photo to represent the feeling of the post.

    ReplyDelete