Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A mistake?


It’s Wednesday, July 28th, and we’ve made it through our first full week in Africa. It’s been a difficult night. There was a power outage that lasted all night...therefore no a-c and the night heat was stifling.


Miserable night contributed to my miserable space of mind. Woke up with the same first thought ‘shit, I’m still in Africa’ realization. Contemplative mood around the breakfast table...finally ended taking inventory of different moods and emotions which we were subject to this past week. We agree that we’ve both had a hard time. I say its because of our ages (threshold of eldership, as our friend Isabelle St-Jean would say), Madeleine insists that its more because of the circumstances (we’re on our own...no sponsorship to speak of). When we were younger, changing from the comfort zone of the North American paradigm (fast paced, easy living) to the challenges of the third world failed nation state paradigm (simple life, but everything messed up) would have been so much easier. Leaving the paradise that is 50 Bedingfield Street for this place seems ludicrous, at this time, especially this morning. Can’t help but think that this was perhaps a big mistake on our part. Still don’t know if I can do this. Hope I snap out of this cranky mood soon. It’ll be interesting to see where we’re at when the 1 month cycle (August 21st) comes by.


No comments:

Post a Comment