Sunday, August 22, 2010

Nights are long in Conakry.


It's been a month in Africa. Africa, where humans emerged some 4 million years ago. From where some 100,000 years ago, Home sapiens spread all over the world. Africa: the mother of us all. It is my past. Why the heck then do I still feel as if I've landed on another planet?

Have to admit it though...my depaysement is getting milder with every day that passes. School helps bringing a bit of normality to everyday that I'm there. Kids are kids everywhere in the world, teachers are teachers, education is education. So what if we can't use the internet at school because it crashes all the time? So what if most of our resources are outdated? So what if in the middle of a lesson, you get a power outage? I've come to the realization this past week that the school itself isn't the problem, but that my 'North American' persception of 'school' is. I have to start seeing things for what they are, and not from where I'm at. 

Brought 5 books from Vancouver...5 books in Vancouver usually keeps me going for at least a year, if I'm lucky. Here we are 4 and 1\2 weeks in Conakry, and I've read all 5 books. The nights are long in Conakry. Now I know what I'm bringing back with me when I return to Conakry after Xmas in Vancouver. Its time to buy shares in Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment