First day of school today...35 kids were expected, 19 showed up. A bit disappointed with the low turnout, but was assured by the staff that this is not unusual. The school year begins only in October here in Guinea, and therefore our 'international kids' tend to naturally 'extend' their summer break so as to 'do like the natives'. In any case, the kids that did show up are great. Cute, quiet, friendly, (did I say cute?).
Last week, we focused more on getting ready with preperation and planning for the year. Spent three whole days with the staff. Great people, ready to make the school great again. Everyone is very optimistic, but I am starting to get tired of hearing 'you'll see, things are really going to change after the elections on the 19th September'. Yes, things will change for the better, but, like everything else in Africa, it will take time, and lots of it. Don't know if I have the patience....
Will take it one day at a time.
Bonne année scolaire Raymond! Merci de nous tenir au courant de vos aventures! Michel et Diane
ReplyDelete