Monday, May 16, 2016

I'm Back!

I’m back. Can’t believe it’s already been three years since I left my blog. After a three-year hiatus from documenting my journey in pursuit of a meaningful life, I’ve decided to return and pick up where I left off last May 2013.   Not that the silent years have been meaningless, au contraire! During the three-year lacuna, Madeleine and I have migrated from the often poverty stricken yet always warm benevolence of Africa to the frenetic throes of a 8,000,000 + agglomeration called Bangkok, our migratory journey interrupted by a fascinating 9 month stint immersed in the palpable vibrancy of new China.

Sipping a cool one on the banks of the Mekong River, enjoying the good life in South-East Asia
During my three-year rest stop from blog writing, my days have been filled with some good and some bad, but mostly good.  One could think and conclude that my absence was due to a scarcity of blog material. Not so. Numerous were the occasions and events in our daily lives when one of us would say “Boy, that would be good blog material”.  No matter where we were or are on the planet, our global nomadic lifestyle continues to give us an abundance of unique, exciting, sometimes exhilarating, and occasionally bizarre, ‘blog material’.  

So, why this three-year gap in my blog entries?  Simply stated, I stopped writing not because I wanted to, but because I had to. You see, I was living in a part of the world where if and when one writes or says something that the powers that be don’t agree with, well, that person kind of disappears, …need I say more? Call me paranoid or chicken if you want, but I kind of have a slight aversion to one day finding myself hog-tied in a dirty culvert under a bridge in the middle of nowhere, for something that I may have said or written online.  Nelson Mandela, I am not. 

And then, perhaps there have been a few frivolous days scattered here and there that were arousing in their meaninglessness and consequently void of any fodder to feed my entries. But, hey, for someone like me who tends to easily get uncomfortable and annoyed at idleness (it’s call getting antsy), I’ve become more and more appreciative of those frivolous days as time goes by. As a matter a fact, there are days when I like idleness. I take that back, there are days when I crave idleness. But then, let’s leave that subject for another blog entry…
Stay tuned.

Next entry: Chīwit thī̀ dī...what is that all about?

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Raymond. The greatly anticipated return of your golden quill, razor sharp mind, and no holds barred until hog tied in a culvert bravado is a refreshing change to Donald Trump's rise with the Wonder Bread masses. Bring it on dude! Remain silent as a lamb about the finely honed human instinct to step on a rolling coin!
    Michel

    ReplyDelete